[Taipei, Taiwan] - 欣葉食藝軒 Shin Yeh

One of the places I always take out of town guests is Shin Yeh. I know, I know, everyone knows that Din Tai Fung and Taiwan go hand in hand. You've had it in LA, San Jose, or the U District and you want to eat it in Taiwan too. That's great. I would never dream of stopping someone from eating there. It's just that I would prefer to take my guests to eat more traditional Taiwanese fare, rather than dumplings that originated in Shanghai. Honestly, I don't understand the obsession with Din Tai Fung. But that is neither here nor there. I want to present to you, Shin Yeh.

Shin Yeh is the place to go for traditional Taiwanese food prepared in a high end way. Every time I have gone, the food has been superb. I have ordered ala carte and their set meals, and it has all been fantastic.

First off, I recommend making reservations. You can try walking in, but they are typically pretty busy and I would say expect a bit of a wait. If you are calling from overseas, they will ask for a phone number. Specifically for the 101 location, arrive early enough to find your way to the restaurant elevator (it's not in the main mall area that you would take to get to the observation deck). The elevator is just as fast though, so once you're on the elevator, you'll get there in a minute. There are a few other restaurants, so if you aren't sure where to go just ask. Most of the employees there speak English or other languages. They are used to foreigners.

At the 101 location, if you aren't seated by the window, you can still get up and check out the view below. If you are lucky and it's a clear day/evening/night, you will be treated to a magnificent view of the pulsing city below. 

Please note their set menu does change occasionally, and what you see online in various blogs, Yelp, or Foursquare might not be available anymore. Although, their mainstays will generally be there (ala carte traditional Taiwanese food items). I would recommend ordering the more Taiwanese fare than the set menu though. I'm sure I will be back with more guests and I will add/update this entry.

Scallop appetizer platter

Shark fin and chicken soup. This broth is amazing.

Braised abalone with seasonal vegetables. The abalone is incredibly tender. I have no idea what goes in that sauce, but it's really good.

Wagyu filet mignon. Not my favorite of this set, but it was still flavorful and good. It's just hard to go back to non A5 Wagyu after being spoiled by John Howie.

Seasonal Vegetables. This was nice after all of the meat.

Glutinous rice with pork belly, scallop, and shitake mushrooms. Cooked in a banana leaf, but pre-peeled so you don't have to get the sticky rice goo everywhere.

Fresh seasonal fruit.

Complimentary peanut mochi. Freshly made and still warm. While mochi originated in Japan, Taiwanese people have made it their own by adapting it to the Taiwanese taste buds.

Almond jelly with peach in syrup. This reminds me of my childhood. 


Address:
信義路五段7號85F
Taipei

Taiwan

Phone Number:
+886 2 8101 0185
Reservations recommended!

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack