[Portland, OR] - Hale Pele

If you couldn't tell, I like themed restaurants and bars. It makes things interesting. One of my favorite themes is tiki. A new tiki bar in Sacramento just opened up, so that is on my list of places to go and check out. It just happened that I was in Portland in December, and Hale Pele was just down the street from where I was staying. With some good reviews and what looked like flaming drinks, I had to go see for myself.

The interior is dark, like most tiki bars (that I have been to anyway). Lots of kitsch all over the place. Everyone in big groups and seem to be sharing crazy looking drinks. I couldn't wait to join in the fun! Luckily there was one big table left for the four of us and we took our time looking over the immense menu. 

It was pretty hard to choose which drink to start with. So many things sounded interesting, and there were a ton of cool looking cups. We ended up getting the volcano bowl to start. You have to really like rum to enjoy it, as the rum taste is pretty overpowering. The tropical spices tasted mostly like cinnamon to me. I wouldn't order this again if I went, but it was still worth ordering just for the little show they put on when they bring it out. They flicker the lights and play some special music. I felt like I was at Disneyland at the Tiki Room. 

Bottom line, it's a cool place to hang out for some drinks, but be aware that it adds up pretty quickly. 




Volcano bowl.



Toasted Hawaiian bread.

Taro chips.


I wanted more flames... so I ordered the Jet Pilot.

Feel free to check out their menu! They even have different numbers assigned so you can see the alcohol level its at before ordering.

Address:
2733 NE Broadway St
Portland, OR 97232

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack