[Los Angeles, CA] - Black Ball

As a big fan of all things QQ, when my friend suggested we head over to Black Ball after dinner, I was all over it. What I didn't realize was that the black balls they were named for weren't pearls, but balls of grass jelly. Thus, pretty much everything has grass jelly in it. Back before I got sick of it as a child, I would have loved this. As an adult who got sick of it as a child, it was not much of a treat. I don't like picky eaters, but I guess I found my weak spot. Everything about my shaved ice bowl was great. The taro balls were actually better than I thought they would be, albeit a bit sweet overall. I ate everything except the grass jelly. Sorry! I know there are starving kids in China! I just couldn't do it. I tried a few bites but gave up. 

I ordered the "Jiu Fen" Yam Balls Crushed Ice - mostly good. I'm sure the grass jelly is good, but I personally don't like grass jelly. The taste is too strong and doesn't work for me. Texturally, I could tell that the quality of this grass jelly was good. I would order this again if I were in town, but I would specify no grass jelly. Totally a personal preference on my part, not a fault of Black Ball. 


Refreshing bowl of ice green bean/mung bean. This tasted like summer school in Taiwan when I was seven.


Address:
13902 Brookhurst St
Garden Grove, CA 92843

Website
Yelp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack