[Portland, OR] - Rose & Thistle

Normally I like picking places before I get to a city. Occasionionally I trust someone enough to choose for me (I have trouble finding people who eat the way I do 😅), which is what typically happens in Portland when I visit my brother. This time however, we went with convenience. Sometimes after my nine hour drive, I don't want to get back in a car. I just want to walk. He lives pretty close to a lot of restaurants, bars, and random shops so it works out in our favor. 

A few blocks away is Rose & Thistle, a Scottish pub. It doesn't look huge from the outside, but it's spacious inside. I imagine they can get pretty busy. According to their website, the rose is for Portland and the thistle is for Scotland. At the same time, with a little research, I found that there is also a poem titled "The Thrissil and the Rois" which is a Scottish poem by William Dunbar about the wedding of the King of Scotland to a Princess of England. Try reading that after a few pints!

The food is very hearty and good before a night of drinking. It's a good place to start, but the beers are a bit pricey for local beers, so you'll probably find me at another bar or mostly likely, a brewery.


New York Pub Steak - grilled and topped with bleu cheese butter. Had to bust out some of our own cutlery to slice through the steak though.

Crofters Stew - Chunks of beef slow cooked and mixed with celery, carrots, and potatoes

Highland Fling - pastry filled with ground sirloin, peas, carrots, onions, and potatoes.

Address:
2314 NE Broadway
Portland, Oregon 97232

Website
Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack