[Tokyo, Japan] - Sushi Kyotatsu / すし京辰 成田空港第1ターミナル制限区域内店

I firmly believe that countrywide, we have a shortage of airports with solid restaurants to eat at. This is why I am extra appreciative of the airports that do give passerby access to food that make you forget you're at an airport. The kind of food you would seek out normally if you felt like having a nice dinner out. As someone who flies a fair amount, I really do appreciate good airport food. Not only that, I know if I don't eat something at the airport, I will be hungry on the plane or have to suffer through eating some weird microwaved lunchables on the plane. 

The first time I flew through Narita was on a flight back from Taiwan. This was about ten years ago. The cheapest flight was a United Airlines flight. One of the reasons I don't like United is their constant delays. The flight from Taipei to Tokyo was uneventful, but my flight out from Tokyo to San Francisco was delayed FOUR HOURS. I walked around the entire airport. I walked from one terminal to another. I spent an hour shopping at all of the little gift shops and wasted a lot of money on random stuff in the Akihabara Tax-Free gift shop. Realized I was hungry. Regretted not taking my chances on a train to the city and eating at a "real" restaurant. Saw a sushi restaurant. Thought, what's the worst that could happen? 

Really, what's the worst that could happen? Could it taste worse than a lukewarm pizza from the only Gordon Biersch to let me down at LAX, an overpriced $15 salami and arugula sandwich from any restaurant or food stand from SFO, or even some (gag) TFI Fridays from Dallas/Ft. Worth? Please. The waitress seated me next to the window seat, so I had a view of the planes and the runway. She brought out a daily menu to go with the regular menu, along with some hot tea and a hand towel. I looked at my watch. Still had 3 1/2 hours to go. My total layover time was six hours. I ordered a small bottle of their seasonal recommended sake, and one of their nigiri sets. I didn't know the magic that is the omakase yet. When I finished, I wanted more. It was the best sushi I had ever had. It was the moment my life changed. I splurged on the Otoro sashimi and some Otoro maki. This was my first experience with Otoro and I will never forget it. I left the airport that day satisfied and happy. 

So, the next time I flew through Narita, I decided that I had to share the experience with the boyfriend. I told him it was the best sushi I had ever had at that point, and it was in the airport. I needed to go and confirm that it still is indeed, one of the best I'd had. At that time, all I knew was if the airport sushi is that fantastic, how much more amazing can the sushi be in Tokyo itself (Oh God, it can be that much better! It only gets better!)? So for him, his first experience with Tokyo sushi came from Kyotatsu at the Narita International Airport too. 

We had a long layover also. I believe it was 4 1/2 hours? This time, Kyotatsu was packed. When I went the first time, it had a smattering of people. We were lucky that two people were finishing up at the sushi bar. I was delighted to be able to sit at the bar this time. So, one of the reasons why their sushi is so good is the quality of the ingredients. Their fish comes from the Tsukiji Fish Market. You are basically having a Tokyo sushi experience in the airport. And really, it's so good you forget you're at the airport (until it's time to go. Don't forget your carry on luggage!). 

We both ordered the omakase to start. After we finished the omakase, we ordered a few more items. Enjoyed that ish, paid the bill, and wandered out full and happy to buy some trinkets and clothes for the kitties before heading to our gate.

I could tell you more about the type of rice that they use, and the history of their restaurant, but they do it so well on their website that I'm not going to waste my time summarizing it. Just enjoy the pictures 👌


Part I of the omakase: Tuna, sea snail, and squid. The snails were super fresh and clean tasting. Surprisingly, it was my favorite of this set.

Part II of the omakase: chutoro/中とろ/medium fatty tuny, zuke maguro/ずけ まぐろ/tuna in soy the edomae style, akami (red meat of the tuna), ika/いか/squid, kohada/コハダ/gizzard shad, and kinmedai no kobujime/金目の昆布締め/golden eye snapper marinated in konbu.

Part II of the omakase (the blurry side from earlier) - the kohada and kinmedai

Kohada - one of my favorites. Look at that knife work.

Part III of the omakase: hamaguri/蛤/clam, uni/うに/sea urchin, sayori/針魚/half beak, kuruma ebi/車海老/Japanese tiger prawn.

Part IV of the omakase, the last part - anago/穴子/salt water eel.

Still had time to kill and could handle eating more so why not have some wild tuna belly from the Tsukiji Market?

Ok, just a little more. Sawara/鰆/Spanish Mackerel and kobujime (repeat, it was that good).

Website: http://www.bbande.co.jp/en/index.html

FYI: They have a few locations: http://www.bbande.co.jp/en/shop/ebisu.html

Oh yeah, ever since my first trip, apparently Bloomberg has raved about this place: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-26/we-ate-some-of-the-best-sushi-in-the-world-at-the-airport.html.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack