[Taipei, Taiwan] - Central Park Cafe 中央公園咖啡館

In high school, my friends would argue that they're a "Monica" or laugh about being a "Phoebe." They would have heated discussions about who was the most attractive - Chandler, Ross, or Joey. Who were these people? What made them so great? And why does everyone want "The Rachel"? At a friend's house, I saw a poster of the six of them drinking milk shakes. It looked really corny. My friend said to me, "God, I just love Jennifer Aniston. She's just so gorgeous!"

Fast forward 5-10 years to when I catch up to their age. I get it now. That I'm-done-with-college-what-do-I-do-now phase (which, incidentally, Ave Q the Musical addresses really well!). While it's not 100% accurate (are you really looking for real life accuracy in a TV sitcom? It might be kind of depressing) and does miss out on the diverse cultures of NYC, but it is still an entertaining show. I was late to join the Friends party, but I got there circa season 7 and quickly caught up. 

Now, a few re-watches of the entire series later, I am a Friends fan. It's just one of those shows you can watch more than once and leave on in the background of whatever you're doing and still get a chuckle. So, of course when I heard that Taipei upped their fandom game to the next level with the Central Park Cafe, I had to go see!

Located in the Zhongzheng District; it is not far from from National Taiwan University and the Gongguan MRT Station. Actually, depending on which way you're headed, it is a bit closer to the Taipower Station. Or there are always the hordes of buses near the Gongguan Station. But that's later. 

First, coffee.

The first time I try this place out, I order the nondescript 700cc mug of coffee. It is just a big mug of coffee, the equivalent of 23.7 oz. for the Yanks. That makes it almost 4 oz more liquid than a Venti from Starbucks. It's a lot of fluid, to be sure. There's a bathroom here though. In Taiwan, you have to be aware of the bathrooms. You never know when you're going to need one, and whether there is one available for use. Nonetheless, the size of the cup shocks the local patrons. Apparently only the big Americans get it? Novelty over, I choose something different this trip out. 

I have never thought to combine espresso, lime, and Perrier, so I order that. It's actually light and refreshing, and pairs well with the cheesecake that was a special of the day. My brother orders a Kahlua coffee iced drink, while the boyfriend orders a cappuccino. If you get the Kahlua coffee, make sure to stir it. They also have teas, other snacks, and full on meals. I came for the ambiance rather than the food (there's a night market not that far away that has the best pork belly buns that I always visit when I'm in this neighborhood), so I have only ordered drinks, and now the one slice of cheesecake during my visits. They also have an assorted collection of foreign beers should the mood strike.

Service here is always pleasant. The decor is fantastic. If hanging out, there are games in the back room along with a foosball table. If you are lucky, you might also be shown a few episodes of Friends! There is a screen that they pull down for viewing. Since we came on a super rainy day, we enjoyed our coffee with a few episodes of Friends. 

Don't take my word for it, come see for yourself the next time you're in Taipei! If you are a Friends fan, you owe it to yourself to at least get one selfie in with Hugsy!



Chinese/English menus


The only thing that would make this section better would be if it was the Joey Special - TWO PIZZAS.







We got the good couch that day!

Foosball in the back room. Barely visible on the left edge of this photo are the other board games they have.

(There's that corny milkshake poster...)





Address:
No.3, Lane 240, Section 3, Roosevelt Road, 
Zhongzheng District
Taipei, Taiwan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack