[Tokyo, Japan] - 寿司大/Sushi Dai

The Tsukiji Fish Market was pretty high on my list of things to do in Tokyo, so of course I spent some time putting some research in. Knowing my time was limited, I wanted to be sure to eat somewhere amazing. The top two restaurants that popped up on every search I made was Daiwa (大和寿司) and Sushi Dai (寿司大). I went with Sushi Dai because a few bloggers said they ended up at Daiwa because the wait at Sushi Dai was too much for them. That said, if Sushi Dai is the experience of a life at the Tsukiji Fish Market, then Sushi Dai it is! My friend who I had been traveling around Nagoya and Yokohama with agreed. 

We didn't wake up early enough to get to the tuna sales, but that just means I have a reason to go back again some day! I believe we got there around 11am. The line, of course, was a monster that went around the building. I immediately started stressing out since they close at 2pm! I couldn't have come this far just to stand in line and not get any sushi!

All in all, I believe we waited around 3 1/2-4 hours. It's a long time to stand still. My friend and I both agreed to take turns walking around the market while the other waited. We had so much time that on one of my rounds, I bought a beer, drank it s l o w l y, explored most of the market area, got back, and then I went off again to buy some things since I hadn't been sure at first if I really wanted it at first. And then, since there was still so much more time, I stood around practicing panning. You can see that it took a few tries before it finally worked. 

As a sushi lover, as soon as I sat down, I knew I wanted the omakase (4,000¥). Eat all the fish! Once my omakase was over, I ordered some more (see below). I also ended up ordering not one, but two orders of kawahagi. I left fully satisfied and happy. 

I don't know that I would say this is the best sushi experience of my life, but the quality and freshness are pretty near impossible to beat. 

Oh yes, on a side note, the space is very limited inside. Try not to bring huge jackets and luggage with you. Aside from that, bring a good book to read while waiting and enjoy your meal!

He came by a few times. Japanese Chris Pratt?


This guy looked very unamused with my antics


I wished I had something to lean against at this point


This guy made me wish I had a bicycle that I could ride around the market on


I felt like this guy looked. PS - all of those signs are different restaurants. All had lines, but this was definitely the longest one.


玉子//Tamago//egg - interesting way to start, but I dig it


鯖//Saba//Mackerel - one of my favorites


大とろ//Otoro//tuna belly - buttery and fatty goodness


真鯛//Madai//Red seabream


金目鯛//Kinmedai//Splendid alfonsino


海胆//Uni//Sea Urchin - creamy and delicious


かつお//Katsuo//Skipjack Tuna


赤貝//Akagai//Ark Shell 


One of the chefs in action


鮪巻き//Maguro Maki//Tuna Roll - again, not a huge fan of rolls, but when the quality is this good, I can't say no!


秋刀魚//Sanma//Pacific Soury - loved it. I love silver fish and this one stood out as one of the best I've had.


アナゴ//Anago//Conger eel - may have been cooked just a little too long. It was flaky and alright, but not my favorite.


鮑//Awabi//Abalone


ボタンエビ//Botan Ebi//Botan Shrimp - sweet and was definitely tasty


Delicious buddies hanging out on the tray


The menu is in Japanese and English for all of the tourists. For my omakase, they let me choose my last piece


皮剥ぎ//Kawahagi//Sail Fish and sail fish liver. Hands down, my favorite of the set. I asked for a recommendation with the only requirement being something that is only available in Japan. The chef recommended the kawahagi and I couldn't say no.


喉黑//Nodoguro//Black throat sea perch//Rosy Sea Perch//Akamutsu (only caught along the coast of the Sea of Japan) - since I jumped down the rabbit hole already of trying to see what I could eat that was only available in Japan, I asked if there was anything else I needed to try. He suggested the nodoguro which was also delicious. A white meat fish that is very fatty like chu-toro, I found it to be very good and worth trying should you be lucky enough to encounter some. Cheers to friends who are patient enough to translate during times like this!


Outside, not far from Sushi Dai, is a shrine to the ocean gods.




"Water God"


Seemed only proper to thank the water god for the fresh water and the fresh fish he provided.


Address:
築地5-2-1 (築地卸売市場6号館)
Chūō, Tōkyō
104-0045
Japan

Hours:
Mon & Tues, Thurs-Sat: 5:00am until 2:00pm
Wed: 5am until noon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack