[New Orleans, LA] - Cafe Du Monde

Cafe Du Monde. Their yellow/orange coffee cans are sold just about everywhere. What makes their coffee stand out though, is the chicory added. This was done because of the coffee shortages during the civil war. The chicory adds a fuller, bolder flavor to the coffee. I don't always buy this coffee to drink at home (I prefer a light or medium roast to maximize my caffeine intake), but I do have it in my rotation when the mood strikes. The bolder taste pairs really well with the beignets sold at the cafe. 

Their menu is very simple. Black coffee, au lait (coffee and steamed milk), frozen au lait, milk, chocolate milk/hot chocolate, orange juice, and beignets. The beignets are the best. I have tried a few other places that have been touted as better than the over hyped Cafe Du Monde, but I am starting to think that those reviews were either done by people who are too lazy to wait for a better product, or they really just can't taste the difference. The beignets at Cafe Du Monde have been consistently good. Hot and fresh with the perfect amount of powdered sugar. It is light and airy enough without ending up as a fried piece of dough with an air pocket for filling (one of the other places I went to was like that). It looks like a lot for someone who doesn't eat much, but chances are good you'll want more than one. Two are just enough to enjoy with my au lait. 

Of course, as soon as I knew I was headed to New Orleans, this was at the top of my list. Seeing the cafe in person, and just across the street from Jackson Square made being there feel real. If you are going to go, there are a few locations, but the one on Decatur is the original. As soon as you see it, you'll know. I enjoyed it so much that I managed to get out there three times in six days. This past trip, I made it out just one time. I did, however, pick up a box of beignet mix to try at home.


The bathroom is beyond those doors, just past the kitchen. It's pretty cool
watching them make the beignets back there also.


Beignets, au lait. Great way to start a day, enjoy a quiet afternoon, or a
midnight snack.


Perfect beignet. Fluffy and light.

Address (Original location only):
800 Decatur Street
70116 New Orleans

Hours:
24/7, except for Christmas and severe hurricanes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack