[New Orleans, LA] - Acme Oyster House

The first time I ever saw anything to do with New Orleans and oysters was Man Vs. Food -- gross, I know. But, even with the overeating, Acme still maintained a strong reputation for really good chargrilled oysters. While I am not the biggest fan of cooked oysters (I like them freshly shucked), I am still always down to try new things. The first time I went to New Orleans was May 2015. Just in time for the tail end of Jazz Fest! And being there a week, I knew I had a ton of food spots to hit up. Of course, Acme made the list. I'm not into trendy things, but I do like seeing what the fuss is about and deciding for myself. 

The line was only about half a block long and the wait maybe around 30 minutes. While in line, I was able to enjoy a few processions. I love that there is always something happening in New Orleans. Maybe all of the hullabaloo reminds me of Taiwan in a different way, but I love it. It made the wait to get in pass quickly. Also, it probably helped that we were willing to sit at the bar. It seemed like a lot of the other patrons wanted a table.

I love sitting at the bar. At the bar, you get the best service and you get to see all of the oyster shucking action. If you have more than one person, it's probably not so fun because you can't easily talk to each other. I get that. Either way, it was a busy night so they warned us that there would be a wait for the chargrilled oysters. No worries, just meant more time to eat other things. I tried the freshly shucked oysters. They were big. As someone who likes smaller oysters, I had to psych myself up. I still have visions of this terrible oyster Rockefeller someone ordered for our family back in the day. I made my brother eat it; it took him two very big bites to finish the beast. I believe we both are scarred from that experience... 

...moving on.

The chargrilled oysters were really good. To me, they lived up to the hype. I liked the buttery sauce sauce and all of the flavors. Instant regret that I didn't order more than half a dozen, but life goes on. As I sat there sipping my Andygator, I decided that I didn't want to wait 30 minutes for more, so I ordered another half dozen of the raw oysters. 

BTW, if you have a lot you want to eat, you probably shouldn't overdo it at Acme so you have space for more booze or food just outside. Don't make the same mistake I did and order the Boo Fries. Really didn't need that. That was my inner fatass sneaking in orders and it was a bad idea. Mostly because they weren't good. Super salty and poor quality. I had just been hooked on the idea of boo fries from a friend. Who doesn't like the sound of fries with beef gravy poured on them and topped with cheese (ok, vegetarians and vegans, I see you)?


Chargrilled oysters with an herb butter sauce and a blend of cheese (half dozen $11.99).


Raw gulf oysters (half dozen $8.99). Big and sweet.


Boo fries ($4.99). Fries (Burger King quality) topped with roast beef gravy
and shredded cheese (Taco Bell quality).


These guys just keep on shucking like machines. One of these times,
I would like to see someone do the oyster eating challenge.

Address:
724 Iberville Street 
New Orleans, LA, 70130 

Hours:
Sun-Thurs 10:30am-10pm
Fri & Sat 10:30am-11pm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack