[San Francisco, CA] - Turtle Tower

Usually when I go to San Francisco and look for something to eat, I don't go for pho. I've had it before at random places in the South Bay and Oakland haven't had anything that stood out as anything special. Why would I get pho in the Bay if it tastes the same as in Sac? And then, I saw a bowl of pho on a friend's Instagram that looked different. The only other time I had seen a bowl that looked like that was in Sydney. And that pho is my favorite around the world (haven't been to Vietnam yet, so then there's that). Because the pho at Turtle Tower looked like the pho from An, I had to give it a try. 

I ordered the phở gà (chicken pho) and cà phê đá (iced coffee). I just have to say, I haven't had iced coffee like this in a long time. I think the more mainstream Vietnamese coffee has become, the more watered down it's been. The only other times I've had it where it tasted like this was at someone's home, or in San Jose. It made my day. It's really the little things in life. 


The chicken pho was delicious. The broth was very clean tasting, and clear. It is the closest I've come to homemade pho in a restaurant. I also prefer 粉 (fun) noodles to the thinner rice noodles normally found in pho (or at least, "normal" to Sac and the other places in NorCal). These noodles don't clump together so mixing the noodles around with all of the accoutrements is easier. Plus, I feel like the taste is less floury and I can enjoy the broth's flavor more. I also tried the beef broth. Really good. Next time I'm in SF, I will probably try to make my way out here for some more!


Iced coffee. Strong like it should be.

Our spread. Some pho (tai and ga) and spring rolls. 

Spring Rolls. Love that they gave peanut sauce to dip it in


Pho ga - chicken


Pho tai - rare beef

Update
On a good day, when you order the chicken, you also get some unfertilized eggs (hint: it's the small yellow thing in the bowl)

Address:

5716 Geary Blvd
San Francisco, CA 94121

Hours:

Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sun - 10am-8pm
Fri & Sat - 10am-9pm
Wed - Closed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack