[Metairie, LA] - Russell's Short Stop Po Boys

During this past trip to New Orleans, I stayed in Metairie. A friend mentioned that her favorite place for po boys was at Short Stop. As a local who was born and raised there, I took her word for it. She was kind enough to drive a group of us out there to give it a try. She apologized profusely about how we might not like it, but she's always liked it. I definitely know the feeling. Memories are such a big part of food, but it seems like a lot of people don't take that into account. 

My baseline for po boys is based on French Po-Boys One in Sac (which reminds me, I should probably blog about it at some point). It's good because it's fresh. The baguette and the shrimp. So, in trying Short Stop, I am expecting it to be better since I'm in the area that it's from. Honestly, it is overwhelming trying to pick one to go to so I'm glad on all counts that I ended up here. 

The menu is pretty extensive--which I generally don't like--but everything I tried was good and cheap. A bag of fries, if you're that hungry after a po boy or gumbo or whatever you decide to order, is just under a dollar. My eyes were bigger than my stomach, and greed pushed me to get more than one filling. I ended up with the 1/2 and 1/2 of shrimp and crawfish. I wanted to also get the beef, but I was definitely afraid of judgement from coworkers (some of who I had just met) so I went for this king sized combo instead of three separate sandwiches. The 1/2 and 1/2 only comes in king size. Since another coworker ordered the beef, I knew I would still be able to taste it.

Let me just say that this po boy is delicious! Super generous with portions (it's overflowing!), fresh, and not over cooked. If I worked in the area, I would probably be 300 lbs from eating here so often. Plus, there's enough variety that I wouldn't get tired of it. In this, I am talking about my gigantic po boy, and the roast beef. It was a little soggy, but it's to be expected as it was doused in its own juices. Get your hands dirty eating it because it's WORTH IT. Extremely flavorful. The next time I'm in the area, I will be making a trip out to get the beef po boy specifically. This isn't the place that Bourdain went to, but it's delicious, as many of the locals can attest (the line was wrapped up inside the store). 

1/2 Shrimp & 1/2 Crawfish ($12.60) - King size only - 14"

Regular Roast Beef (Regular - 9") 6.90 - Update - On a more recent trip I finally ordered the roast beef... which is DELICIOUS. 





This simple store front holds inside po boy greatness.

Address:

119 Transcontinental Dr
Metairie, LA 70001

Hours:

Mon-Thurs 8:00am to 7:30pm
Fri & Sat 8:00am to 9:00pm
Closed Sundays

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack