[New Orleans, LA] - Galatoire's

I feel like every time I get caught up with my posts, I fall behind again. Well, except for the fact I am still trying to post all of the tasty restaurants from Taiwan. I supposed it's the delicious price to pay for going so often! With those, I definitely feel a sense of urgency as who knows when it will close for good? I know I am always disappointed when I hear about a restaurant and make the effort to go, only to find that it had shuttered already.

In the case of Galatoire's, there is no urgency. It's one of those stalwart restaurants where it wouldn't matter. It was a change in pace for all of us since we had just eaten at Compère Lapin the night before. New New Orleans, and Old New Orleans. Since I was there with someone I believe I could fully trust with food in New Orleans, he ordered all of our appetizers, and suggested that I order the veal chops. While I can see Galatoire's being the kind of place that tourists will come to, I can see why locals come back! 

Walking into the main dining area felt like getting out of a time machine in the 50's. Servers dressed nicer than even some guests at weddings that I have shot, impeccable service, and slow turning fans that probably have been around since it opened. Before we had a chance to even pretend to look at the menu, they came around for our drink orders. I wasn't even going to look at the menu since I was already told to get the veal chops, but I did. Just to see what else was there. They have a solid menu. It would be hard to find something on there that didn't appeal to everyone in the party. 

This dinner actually occurred almost a month ago and I am still thinking about it. Those tender veal chops. The fried oysters with bacon. The jumbo lump crab meat. That grilled black drum (get the grilled, not the fried!). The veal chops....

Without further ado, the pictures! Also, I am trying to incorporate some videos, so download those plugins and enjoy!

Galatoire Goute - crabmeat maison (Louisiana jumbo lump crabmeat, onions, capers, lemon, and creole mustard aioli), shrimp remoulade (boiled Louisiana shrimp, spicy remoulade sauce, and iceberg lettuce), oysters en brochette (fried oysters, bacon, meuniere butter), and crawdad remoulade (crawdads and spicy remoulade sauce).


Souffle potatoes on the left, fried eggplant on the right. Served with two accompaniments : Bearnaise sauce and powdered sugar.

Inside the puffed potato


It says Galatoire's on the spoons!

Turtle soup au sherry - turtle, trinity, tomatoes, veal stock, medium brown roux, and sherry


Brabant potatoes

Veal chops with huge chunks of local jumbo lump blue crab

USDA Prime Ribeye with chunks of blue crab meat

Veal chops with bacon and onions

Fried black drum with chunks of jumbo crab meat and almonds

Grilled black drum with blue crab meat and mushrooms

Black bottom pecan pie - whiskey caramel sauce, whipped cream

Café Brulot - Deserves its own section!


In case you've ever wanted to have brandy coffee garnished with (a hint) of coffee brandy, New Orleans is the city for you! In the course of my research, two restaurant names popped up regularly for the best Café Brulot -- Antoine's and Galatoire's. If you watch the video, the server says it's "a very boozy coffee." I beg to differ. It's hot booze that taste similar to Glühwein, with barely a hint of coffee taste.

Don't be scared to give it a try though, half of ordering this is the show! Besides, you're already on Bourbon Street; might as well imbibe a little, right? Plus, you can't get it just anywhere. Galatoire's is one of the places famous for it. To read more about it, click here.

In case you don't plan on trying but would still like to see how it goes, here are some pictures and a video:




To start, add cinnamon sticks and sliced oranges to brandy.

Set on fire and pour some on the table.

Mix around while it continues to burn.

Before you completely run out of alcohol (in this drink, I really wonder if it's possible...), pour in a dab of coffee.

As you drink the boozey concoction, watch the clock and wait to get super drunk!

Address:
209 Bourbon St
New Orleans, LA 70130

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack