[Gangshan, Taiwan] - 源坐羊肉店/Yuán zuò yángròu diàn

I spent a lot of my childhood in 岡山, or Gangshan. Or on some signs, Kangshan. If you visit Taiwan, you'll notice that a lot of the cities are spelled differently depending on the road sign or store. Honestly, romanizing Chinese words just seems clunky. Either way, be aware that spellings can change so you are still heading to the correct city or town that you're intending.

Gangshan is a tiny town on the very outskirts of Kaohsiung (also spelled Gaohsiung). When I grew up, I had to rely on someone to drive me to Kaohsiung if I wanted to go to a city with an actual mall. Just in the past few years though, the KMRT has expanded so that it reaches Gangshan. It's now officially connected to the city! Chances are good you are not staying in Gangshan. Chances are, no one you know where the hell it is or what it is. So, if you just happen to be in Kaohsiung and you want to try something different, pop on the KMRT and head over to Gangshan and try some of their famous goat noodles. Often, goat is not prepared well and it is very gamey and can even stink. Gangshan is famous for their goat noodles (dry or in soup) and it shows. Even though now I have less reason to go, I still try to make a point of getting some goat noodles if I'm in the Kaohsiung area. The broth is different than beef, for sure. To me, it's more flavorful (not that I like beef any less!), and since there aren't many places to get some, there's a few places in Gangshan I frequent. 源坐羊肉店 is one of them. I will be posting the other soon.

Goat with rice vermicelli and ginger

Goat tripe with ginger and chilis. I've always found it interesting how goat tripe has so many different colors as opposed to cow or pig.

Goat in a Taiwanese flatbread with some onion

Stir fried goat with white bittermelon and some chilis

Address:
No. 1-2, Zhonghua Rd
Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 820
Gangshan District
(Next to a corner 7-11 and NET)

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack