[Las Vegas, NV] - Kabuto Edomae Sushi

Traditional Edomae style sushi with the freshest ingredients? Competitive pricing  that compared to San Francisco counts as cheap (Nigiri Omakase - $45, Yoroi Omakase - $80, and Kabuto Omakase - $120)? Where do I sign up? 

Last November, I tried unsuccessfully to make reservations at Kabuto. As soon as I had this Vegas trip planned, I set an alarm to make a reservation and had that taken care of. That said, if you are interested in dining here, be sure to make reservations. To make reservations at Kabuto, you'll have to call their single line - 702-676-1044. The line was constantly busy when I tried calling, and there is no online reservation system, and they are not a part of Open Table. Make sure to call between 3:00-5:00pm, as that's the time they are open to reservations. There are only two seatings per night (6:00 and 8:30pm). 

If you like rolls swimming in sauce, ordering ramen, yakitori, and tempura with your sushi, you have come to the wrong place. Kabuto is a restaurant that is not pretentious like many American sushi restaurants. They specialize in sushi, and serve it the way you would be served in Japan. Walking inside and looking at the decor, you would think you're in a small alley in Japan. Personally, I love it. Plus, service is flawless. Attentive, polite, it really is just like being in Japan. 

One of my favorite past times - watching itamae work

Blueberry aged 8 months. Apparently it makes it 2% alcohol after that fermentation

Cosy, with simple decor.

Started off with some Collet Grand Art Brut from Champagne, France. The half bottle was $50​

Ankimo mozuku - super creamy ankimo. I really enjoyed the mozuko and pickles in this dish. The mozuko (モズク) is from Okinawa. It's one of those superfoods that helps keep Okinawans living longer than everyone else. 

For those textually sensitive, it is a bit slimy. Great practice for those learning to improve their chopsticks skills though!

This set has from left to right: buri (鰤) from Nagasaki, opaleye (also known as rudderfish or mejina) from Nagasaki, Firefly squid, and a Shigoku oyster.

If you are curious about buri, and the differences it has from hamachi, check out this site. Before doing this blog, I really had no idea the same fish could have so many names just depending on its age or where it was caught!

Not pictured is their soy from Ibaraki, Japan. What is pictured though, from left to right, is ocean trout with peanut sauce and a slice of turnip, blue crab with mushroom and cucumber, and finally, Alaskan King Salmon.

I know this sounds weird, but that turnip is cute!

Under the mushroom and cucumber was a lot of crab meat!

Red snapper



Wild yellowtail - first time having it with a slight crunch

akami

Super cute mini ikuradon

🎼 ♪ ♬ These are a few of my favorite things♫ 

Bafun uni-don - can I go back to Hokkaido now?

Koshinaga maguro/longtail tuna - my first time having this I believe


Just a super quality chutoro nigiri as good as it is in Japan

Tamagoyaki - savory the way I like it. Alas, my favorite is still from Shiro-san at Sushi Kashiba.

Because I like to go nuts when I eat at a really good sushi restaurant, I ordered a few extra things. Everything picture above (minus the champagne) was included in the Yoroi Omakase.


Extra nigiri--

Hokkaido Scallops

Hokkaido scallop ($6)

Akamutsu/アカムツ/red sea perch from Nagasaki ($9)

Kohada ($5)


His knife was just so shiny! It was mesmerizing to watch, actually.


Chutoro handroll

Nameko miso soup - I liked this more than the fish miso. It was a great way to end the meal.

Fish miso soup - a bit salty for my taste, but they are very generous with the fish. For me, I was too full at this point (greed, extra fish, and what not), so this would be a better choice if you don't go overboard.

Black sesame panna cotta was the actual finish. At first I had to stifle a groan at being too full for more food, but when the server told us what it was, I was ready to eat some more! I love panna cotta, and this one was no exception. It was a bit sweet, but paired with the complimentary green tea, it was perfect.

Sesame :)

Bamboo toothpicks

If you're not paying attention, it's easy to walk right by. Luckily this plaza is small. Even if it's filled with a ton of great options like Raku, Raku Sweets, and Monta. 

Can you even see the sign for Kabuto? Here's a hint: 冑.

5030 W Spring Mountain Rd #2
Las Vegas, NV 89146
(702) 367-3511

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack