[Zhongli, Taiwan] - 壹等品『霸王豬腳』/Yī děng pǐn bàwáng zhū jiǎo

One of my favorite comfort foods is pork belly over rice. It's called 魯肉飯 in Chinese, but in English I just refer to it as pork belly rice. It's pork belly stewed for hours to get it extra tender. Other items can be stewed in there also which are great like eggs, bamboo, tofu, or seaweed. The ones in the States, for reasons I just don't understand, use ground pork. There's less flavor when not using the pork belly. In Taiwan though, pork belly is primarily used, and it's delicious. On a random day off while I lived in Longtan, I took the bus from one end to the other (Longtan to Zhongli). The ride itself is about 35-45 minutes depending on traffic. If you are already in Zhongli, then it's much easier for you to reach. It's about 3 blocks away from the Pacific Sogo Mall, and two blocks away from a big movie theater. 

The main thing they are known for here are the stewed pigs feet. I had just walked by one day and gave it a try. Every time I passed by, it was busy. The pork stewing in the cauldron near the front so as you pass by, you can smell the fragrant stew. The pork belly rice is really good, but because they are known for their pig feet, I went with that. They do a pretty good job of cleaning it, so it's not gristly. I hate it when restaurants don't pick all of the hairs off. Either way, the food here is really good. Now that I have no reason to go to Zhongli, I actually miss this place. A few times I have tried to make it out before heading to the airport, but it's just so out of the way that I haven't been able to make it happen. 




You can also take it to go. The prices are pretty good, and it tastes like it did in the restaurant even after a long bus ride home! And, if you need it piping hot, you can always take it to 7-11 and ask them nicely if they'll microwave it for you.


Address:
No. 168, Xinsheng Rd, Zhongli District, Taoyuan City, Taiwan 320
(Nearest big landmark would be the Sogo just a few blocks away)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack