[New Orleans, LA] - Shaya

I have a working list of places I want to eat in New Orleans, but Shaya was not on it. I was just excited to be able to cross Atchafalaya off my list this trip! But, when I was told to look up Shaya because it's the best in New Orleans without serving New Orleans style food, I was intrigued. Looking at the menu, everything sounded good. It was so hard to pick what to try. At the restaurant, we all ordered drinks to get settled and try to narrow down our selections. I ordered "The Fuzz" - rye whiskey, peach shrub, Peychaud’s Aperitivo. Definitely recommended!

Not pictured, but also ordered was the baba ganoush, tershi, wood roasted brussel sprouts, and THE best pita bread I've ever had. It was so light and fluffy. All of the other pita bread I'd had before this was hard or flavorless. The baba ganoush went really well with the pita. That, the tershi, hummus, and the avocado toast stood out the most. The kebabs were good, but didn't taste anything out of the ordinary to me. The crispy halloumi also didn't stand out to me. I felt like it lacked flavor, especially after everything else. I washed it down with a nice glass of Cab from Galil Mountain Winery, Israel 2014. I'm going to have to look for it now, because it paired so well with my food.

Good thing there was a few of us, because I wanted to have some dessert, but didn't have enough room to eat an entire item by myself. We ordered three desserts and I would have to say the malabi was my favorite. It was like panna cotta in flavor and texture, but I really liked the dark butter rum sauce and the braised pineapple. The sweet sour combo contrasted well with the custard. It was the perfect ending to dinner. Also not pictured, my halva cappuccino which was served a little above room temperature.. 

Curried fried cauliflower with caramelized onions and cilantro


Lamb kebab with tomatoes, pine nuts, tahini, and cilantro


avocado toast with smoked whitefish and pink peppercorns


crispy halloumi with kohlrabi, persimmon preserve, hazelnuts, carob molasses


malabi - vanilla custard, gingersnaps, braised pineapple, dark rum


apple upside-down cake - sweet potatoes, pistachios, sweet cream


milk and honey - labneh cheesecake, mixed nut granola, burnt honey ice cream


Address:
4213 Magazine Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70115

Reservations through Open Table or calling: 504.891.4213

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack