[Rocklin, CA] - Jing Jing (Formerly Golden Dragon)

I have been eating at Golden Dragon for a few years (since 2009 ish?) and like its authentic Szechuanese fare. I like hearing the employees speak Szechuanese to each other because it takes me back to when my mom, her siblings, and her parents would all speak Szechuanese to each other. It only happened when they were all together. Around others, they would immediately switch to Mandarin. To this day, I can still hear and smell it all. Garlic, veggies, meat, shallots, being sauteed, the sound of the wok, the big chopper hacking away on the big wooden cutting board, and the sound of her and her immediate family, happily catching up after our time abroad. Those are the happy sounds of my childhood in Taiwan. So, Golden Dragon holds a place in my heart. 

It is also why I was shocked to see that it changed ownership. The question came up - do we still eat here? I really wanted some Szechuanese food. Honestly though, couldn't hurt to check, right? It sounds really stupid, but we looked them up on Yelp to make sure that they still served the same things. We didn't want to go to one of those Chinese restaurants that say they serve one type of food but then only have Panda Express items. Seeing that they still had actual Szchuanese food, we entered with trepidation.  

The waitress spoke to me in Chinese, which made me feel better. I heard her speak to another person in the kitchen in Szechuanese. My nerves calmed immensely. So much drama for food! 

The main test we had was the fish. Could they make a good spicy fish like Golden Dragon? Can they handle lamb? The pea leaves weren't on the menu, but ask and sometimes you shall receive! Honey walnut shrimp isn't really my thing, but sometimes you have to order things that the people hanging out with you want. 

The fish was perfect for me. Spicy, but not so much that I couldn't eat it. Still wouldn't say that it's for spicy food novices though, so be careful! Also, if it's your first time, keep in mind that for some reason, the veggies keep the heat in more. I enjoyed the fish. Fish is always good when it's not dry and overcooked (and fresh, of course!) The lamb stir fry was very good. Tender and had a ton of flavor - without the gaminess that scares people away from lamb. I am pretty sure I ate half of that plate. It just went so well with my rice! The pea leaves were also well done and a nice change from the other spicy dishes. Next time I go, I'll be giving some of the other dishes a try!


Sauteed lamb


Spicy fish // 水煮魚片


Pea leaves


Honey walnut shrimp

Address:
4800 Granite Dr
Rocklin, CA 95677

Hours

M-Th 11:00am - 9:00pm
Fri & Sat 11:00am - 9:30pm
Sun 12:00pm - 9:00pm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack