[New Orleans, LA] - Jacque Imo's

Jacque Imo's is one of the few places I ate at on both of my trips to New Orleans. On a previous trip, we had the shrimp and alligator cheese cake, and our own orders of the fried chicken. If you like fried chicken, Jacque Imo's does it right! That led me to my conundrum with this trip. Do I get the fried chicken again? Or try something new? 

I comforted myself with the knowledge that I would be getting some fried chicken from Dookie Chase, which I think, hands down, is the best that I've had anywhere, anyway. That left me with the option to try something new on the menu. I knew for certain though, that I needed to have more of that shrimp and alligator cheesecake. It is nothing like it sounds. To me, anyway. Adding cheesecake to the name implies that it will be sweet and a dessert. Instead, this is a savory treat. There is so much flavor in this slice, so much shrimp and gator. It all goes so well with the sauce, which seems to be cheese based. I also love fried green tomatoes, so I had to order that also. I am a big fan of the remoulade and how it goes with the crunchy fried tomatoes. And if that's too much veggie action for you, there's a big juicy shrimp on top for some gains. The other appetizer we ordered was the jambalaya. It's not my favorite, but then again i'm pretty indifferent to jambalaya (unless I have a Popeye's heart attack biscuit to eat it on). Everyone else liked it, so if you are a jambalaya fan, don't think that I'm saying it's bad!

The first world problem with ordering so much food is getting half full before the main entree appears. Everything is so good that you just want to eat everything. Sharing turns into a who-can-stab-a-bigger-piece-for-themself?-game. When we finish up all of the appetizers, our salads and entrees appear. Everything is piping hot and smells amazing. It's a lot of food, those entrees. They aren't cheap, but you definitely get your money's worth. My crawfish etouffee had an abundance of crawfish. Shelled and deveined. The best part? They weren't overcooked, and they weren't too salty. I had the crawfish etouffee at a few other places and it was always too salty. This one is perfect. We all ate in silence for a few minutes and really just savored our entrees. At some point, I had to remember my sides. The corn and greens were amazing. I wish I knew how to make them so I could eat it every day. THIS is how you get kids to eat their vegetables! 

One final note about Jacque Imo's before I call it a day - MAKE RESERVATIONS! It gets really busy. I have yet to see it on a "slow" day. It's also a good cab ride away from the French Quarter, if that's where you're staying. Also, I would suggest not bringing big bags or luggage because it has a bit of a cramped set up. It's warm and cozy and has that comfortable kitchy clutter a good friend's house would have. You'll have more space if you just bring your appetite, also ;) 

Complimentary corn bread muffin.


Shrimp and alligator cheesecake $9.95


Fried green tomatoes with shrimp remoulade $8.95


Creole Jambalaya $7.95


All entrees come with the house salad - spinach and a fried oyster with some house dressing.


Crawfish Etouffee $26.95


My sides - greens and corn macque chow


The entire restaurant has some eclectic artwork that really ads to the vibe of the place. I love it!


The Exterior

Address:

8324 Oak St
New Orleans, LA 70118

Hours:

Mon-Thurs 5:00pm-10:00pm
Saturday 5:00pm-10:30pm
Closed Sundays

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack