[Shilin Night Market, Taipei, Taiwan] - Stinky Tofu//臭豆腐 and Cold Noodles//涼麵

If you've ever been to Taiwan and walked through a night market (or any random street, actually), you probably smelled what appeared to be some rancid trash or really bad feet. Pungent and definitely an assault to the nose - this smell is not for everyone. Growing up, I gagged on the smell. I only had one cousin who lived in Taiwan who actually loved eating it. I thought he was disgusting. Little did my younger, more Americanized self know, stinky tofu is one treat that's hard to beat! 

First of all, it's fried. Fried food is delicious. You can fry just about any food and it'll be amazing. Secondly, once you bite through that crispy outer layer, you are rewarded with a softer tofu center. I love the contrast. Then, to get a more of a different flavor, you can also add the chili sauce that is either served with the tofu, or from the jar on your table. If you are at a good stinky tofu stall, they will also have really good pickled veggies. Sometimes I can't finish the tofu if the veggies that come along with it aren't good. Bad pickled veggies make me sad.

Most tofu stalls will serve stinky tofu and one other item. I've read before that you can only get stinky tofu at a stall, but this isn't true. There are restaurants that specialize in stinky tofu (I went to one in Tainan that was pretty good and had stinky tofu fries!). It's just that more ofthen than not, you'll find them in night markets and along the street. One of my first stops in Taipei is usually the Shilin Night Market. I know a lot of people who refuse to come here because it's too popular, but it's popular for a reason. It doesn't have to be the only night market you go to. And if you don't go here, that's just more food for me! Anyway, this location sells two things, stinky tofu, and cold noodles/涼麵. 

Oh yeah, you can always find this place easily by the line. Or not. A good amount of the stalls in Shilin have lines. Just come to Shilin Night Market hungry and get ready to eat!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Taipei, Taiwan] - 富宏牛肉麵/Fuhong Beef Noodles