[Santa Rosa, CA] - Russian River Brewing

If you are a craft beer aficionado, then you are in the know. Pliny the Younger is one of the most famous craft beers out there. It's only been twelve years since its inception, but it has grown in popularity exponentially. The first time I went to try this magical beer, the wait was about two hours. I was still getting my feet wet with all of the amazing craft beers in the country. I thought it was strange that we arrived at Russian River Brewing at 9am on a Saturday morning to wait for beer. We were maybe 30th in line. Soon, we discovered that we were surrounded by people who came from far and wide for this beer. One group was from Minnesota, another from Sydney Australia. Die hard beer fans!

It says on the wall that their capacity is 135 people. When we got in, there were still plenty of places to grab a seat. We sat at the bar so it would be easier to order. That day (Feb. 2, 2013 - thanks Foursquare for keeping track for me!), there were no restrictions on how many glasses of Younger you could enjoy. The only rule was that if you were intoxicated, the bartenders aren't supposed to serve you. I'm pretty sure we all had about 5-6 glasses each. I can't even say how long we were there. Needless to say, we all left very happy campers. Now, it's 2016. We actually did attempt to go again the following year, but the line was wrapped around the entire block so we skipped it. My brother had even flown down that weekend so he could try also. Luckily, Portland is such a food and craft beer heaven, he was able to find some back home too. Again, now it's 2016. I finally psych myself up enough to go again because it's been a few years since I'd had Younger. Does it taste the same way I remember it did? Have I *gasp!* outgrown the taste? I had to know!

I had actually planned on going during the day, but ended up giving the brewery a call and changing my mind. Don't be surprised if it takes a while to answer (I heard from other people they didn't have their calls answered) as they are dealing with hordes of beerdos. While they said that there are occasionally no lines in the afernoon/evening, they said it can change in an instant. I drove out there after work and saw that the line just went past the Chinese restaurant there. Not terrible. About the same distance to the door as 2013. While waiting, a few people ended up leaving, saying the wait isn't worth it. It actually took about an hour and a half. The bouncer explained the bracelet situation and we were IN.

Excitedly, I order my beer. The guy next to me at the bar was reading a book. When he finished his beer, he offered the rest of his pizza (there was half still). Beer people are so nice! We ordered a pizza so that we could enjoy our beers without getting messed up. The food at their pub is standard pub fare. I will point out though, that if you're a fan of Pliny the Elder, stock up! It's cheaper here during happy hour and by the bottle. We ended up buying two cases. It lasts a year though, so don't try to age it a few years! Normally at restaurants it's around $10 a bottle. Here, it's $5.50.

Pliny the Younger, you taste as amazing as I remember. You are worth the wait. Your crisp clean taste, slightly floral but definitely not weak. Hoppy, but not aggressively so. High in alcohol (10.25%) but you don't taste like rubbing alcohol. I may not come back next year, but I will definitely make a point to return again in the future.

In case you'd like more background on the beer - Pliny the Younger - best to read it from the site as they can provide better information than me regurgitating it for you. Just know that if you'd like to try Pliny the Younger, you'll have to do it at their brewery, or find one of the few outlets that they sell a keg to. They don't bottle this beer, and it's in high demand. And, it's only served the first two weeks of February. Mark your calendars!


The front of the line. It's officially like the entrance to a club! The bouncer removes the bracelets that still have tabs on them from people leaving and puts new bracelets on for those entering.


Pliny the Younger for two. Glasses aren't big (10 oz.) but don't judge until you've finished one. The Younger packs quite a punch.


Limit of three. Don't remove the tab unless instructed otherwise you could be down one 
glass of Younger!

Address:
725 4th St
Santa Rosa, CA 95404

Phone: (707) 545-2337

Hours: 
M-F 11am-12am

Happy Hour: 
M-F 4pm-6:30pm
Sunday all day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack