[Las Vegas, NV] - Raku

If you haven't noticed by now, I like trying places that Bourdain recommends. While I don't take his word for gospel, he does recommend quite a few good places. If you're interested in watching the episode, it's from Season 3, episode 2 of Parts Unknown

Raku is located in Chinatown in a tiny strip mall. The parking lot was pretty full when I got there (around 10:30-11pm). Also, there are two Raku restaurants in the plaza - one is a dessert bar, the other, further back, is the grill. It is super dark and warm in there. We had no reservation, but it didn't take long to get seated. The menu is simple, the way I like it. While perusing the menu, they also bring out the specials menu. They also let you know break your heart with which items are already sold out for the evening.

俺の豆腐
Raku’s Tofu

I would like to try coming back again earlier in the evening to try more things (the teba wings sounded delicious). But, as it were, some of these items pretty fantastic and worth eating again. Like their tofu. Made in-house, and with two sizes to choose from, is served alongside bonito, chives, and grated ginger. It's good plain, or with the accoutrements. At each table also, are different salts and sauces that can be used. The green tea sea salt was my favorite. It was so full of umami (how could it not? It has Hokkaido sea salt, green tea, shiitake, scallops, and seaweed powder?). The grilled matsutake mushroom was a first for me. I have been wanting to try some for a while. 

A nice ale to go with all of the grilled meats to come.

Raw wagyu liver

This was very different for me. The texture... I just can't get past the texture. While it is obvious that the liver is incredibly fresh (doesn't have a smell, doesn't have a gamey taste), and the slices were pretty thin, I was very aware while eating each piece that it was indeed, liver. It's probably one of the few foods that I struggled to eat (welcome to the club that is already inhabited by sea cucumber! Do you see the trend?). I could picture the piece as the entire liver. I could see the texture, the look... and suddenly every monster movie (vampire, werewolf, wendigo) overwhelmed me and as a result made me feel like a monster for eating it. I guess everyone has a limit? I would suggest trying it if you are adventurous and wanting something new. I am pretty sure this is not something one encounters on a regular basis!

Grilled matsutake mushroom

帆立バター醤油
Butter Sauteed Scallop with Soy Sauce

Perfectly cooked and tender

もも1枚焼き
Chicken Thigh Steak

Juicy chicken, crispy skin, all that I look for in a chicken. The lime and green tea sea salt went wonderfully with the chicken meat. The skin was sublime as is. The other items we ordered on skewers (pork cheek, more chicken with skin, and ground chicken) were all done superbly. I don't think you can really go wrong with anything from their robata menu. Personally though, I wouldn't get the ground chicken again though since it was basically a chicken meatball. The rosemary in it was overpowering for me. Maybe if you're a rosemary fan, it'll become one of your favorites? 

All in all though, it was a great experience and I look forward to the next time I'm in Vegas and can eat there again!

黒豚とんとろ
Kurobuta Pork Cheek

だきみ
Chicken Breast wrapped with Chicken Skin

つくね 
Tsukune-Grilled Ground Chicken

If it's your first time there, they walk you through which ones to use after trying each item as-is to compare flavors.

Address:
5030 Spring Mountain Rd, Ste 2

Las Vegas, Nevada 89146
702-367-3511

Open 6pm-3am / Closed Sunday

Please note that they only accept reservations via phone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack