[Honolulu, HI] - Ono Hawaiian Foods - CLOSING END OF AUGUST 2017

When I heard that Ono's was closing around the same time as my trip, I got a little depressed. I have only been there a few times, but each time has been pretty fantastic. The food is so homey and comforting even though I didn't grow up with this style of food. The restaurant itself is really small and cozy though, and it feels like your best friend's grandma or grandpa is cooking all of their best dishes just for you. Without a friend who can cook like this, or their grandparents do cook for you, where can you go without Ono's?

If you are fortunate enough to be in Honolulu, or visiting in the last few days before the closure, pop on by. Be prepared to wait. No get mad.

PS - it's just down the street from Leonard's. Even if you're full, you always have space for at least one malasada!

Poke, as it should be. In all of its delicious glory.

Chicken long rice - big pieces of chicken in a light broth with cellophane noodles

The juiciest kalua pork I've ever had. So much flavor, so tender, so juicy. Insert Homer drooling.

Pipikaula ribs. Ono's serves it as a jerky. The pieces seem so small but pack a lot of flavor.

Laulau. Succulent pork in taro leaves. And yes, you can eat the leaves.

Lomi salmon

The spread. Doesn't look like much. Portions look tiny. But, it's all really filling. I have yet to leave feeling anything but happy and satisfied. Ok I lied. This last time was bittersweet knowing it would be my last visit.

The line after I left. There is no shade but everyone is still willing to wait. I got there maybe 10-15 minutes before they opened on a Saturday morning and there were only a few people in line ahead of me. It was scorching hot in the sun, but it was worth it.

Remember what people used to do before cell phones? We would read every inch of the menu.

I am hungry looking at this. And sad. Ono, please don't go!

Wall of people who have been here. A lot of them famous. And this lovely group of people I caught off guard.

More of the wall

#nogetmad


More info about their restaurant and closing dates from Honolulu Magazine.

Address:
726 Kapahulu Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack