Part III: Oahu, HI {Travelogue} - Iyasume Musubi, Bubbies, and Shirokiya at the Ala Moana Center

At some point, I knew it would get to the actual day of the Spartan Race. Since this is a food blog first and foremost, I will spare the details of that soul crushing race (glad I finished, should have trained more, and wouldn't want to do it again!). But, I will let you know how the food worked out for that day!

Figured it would be too much effort to go too far to find food so we just stocked up on musubis from Iyasume Musubi. I am a big fan of the original spam musubi, but I also really like the spam, egg, cheese, and bacon. Or even just spam and egg. Or spam and cheese. They have a ton of combinations. They have other items aside from musubis, but of course, it's what they're known for so be sure to give them a try!

Musubi Cafe IYASUME
2427 Kuhio Ave
Honolulu, HI 96815



The race itself took a good portion of the day. Not to mention the hike from the parking lot to the starting line. That had to be at least 1.5km! It would have been better if it weren't already early afternoon and in the mid-upper 80s. And humid. But you know what? The best part is how hungry you get after, and how it you don't feel guilty eating like a monster.

Upon special request, we end up back at Rainbow Drive-In(previously mentioned in my last post). This time I decided to fat ass it up even more and ordered the combo and some tater tots smothered in gravy. Those tater tots were so hot and crispy. It was 5th grade me's dream come true! 

BBQ, fish, and chicken. This was A LOT of food!

Tater tots and chilliiiiiiiiii

After stuffing ourselves with food, we figured it was time for some dessert. Next on my list? Bubbies! I can actually get this in Sacramento at Oto's, but the flavors are much more limited, and some have been sitting there for quite some time. It's always best to have it fresh and from the source! This is not to say that I haven't spent the $8.00+ for a small box. 

Bubbies Homemade Ice Cream 
7192 Kalanianaole Hwy D103
Honolulu, HI 96825


Pink - Guava
Orange - Lilikoi
Brown - Chocolate Coconut (my
favorite of that trio)

Brown - Chocolate Espresso
Green - Green Tea
Purple - Blueberry (I have seen this one in Sacramento)

Front counter

You can just order ice cream, but what fun would that be without the mochi?

Ice cream flavors - they rotate them

Special flavors of mochi ice cream. Came late, therefore lots were sold out. Come early!


The next morning, after dropping off the brother's girlfriend at the airport, I found myself wandering around. She wanted to grab some Leonard's before heading off, so it was just me and my malasadas and coffee by the beach. Times like that, I really can't complain. It was so quiet except for the crashing of the waves against the rocky cliffs. It was bliss. Of course, some tourists came in a huge group and interrupted my reverie. That was my cue. Time for more food!

Ok, I will admit, I am a bit jealous of the people who get to live here.

Random stop along the way. My feet were drying. I had to re-wet them.

The little Dart that could. Thanks for the ride, little buddy.

I only had a few more hours left, and I didn't want to be stuck too far away from the airport. That only left me a few options, fewer considering I needed covered parking for my food goods (stocked up on musubis). That left the good ol' Ala Moana Center. Since I sat near the beach for so long, I was actually getting hungry again. So within Ala Moana, is Shirokiya Japan Village Walk, and my next food stop.

Shirokiya Japan Village Walk
1450 Ala Moana Blvd #1360
Honolulu, HI 96814



Didn't actually know this place existed. Whenever I had gone to Ala Moana in the past, it was to stop by T&C Surf Shop and grab some coffee from the Honolulu Coffee Co. It's a really cool space though. It's just across the way from Foodland (and I know I've been in there before). There are rows and rows of food options, snacks, and trinket shops. Oh, and they have cheap beer! Communal seating abound. I read reviews of people struggling to find seats, but I guess early afternoon isn't busy. If that's something you'll worry about, go earlier in the day if you can and it should be ok!

P.S. - If you missed out on Iyasume earlier, they have a small storefront in the Village Walk!

Saw a bunch of deities for each of the animals of the zodiac. Of course I had to pop by the monkey. The official name of this section of the Shirokiya Village Walk is actually the Shirokiya Guardian Spirit Sanctuary.

Sorry sheep, I'm just here for monkey.

Instructions, in case you don't know what to do.

Like I said, it's a pretty cool place! I like the look and feel of it.

Kulu Kulu Cafe
1450 Ala Moana Blvd #1360
Honolulu, HI 96814

Website


Ok, saw this and couldn't resist trying a few. I only wanted one, but she said there was a minimum order of half a dozen. Luckily, they are small and delicious. The dough is nice and bouncy. I really do love mochi! I picked red bean, chocolate, and regular.


I feel like it just wouldn't be right without some Kona coffee on the side.

Told you there's beer! Cheap beer, local beer, sake, sochu! Take your pick. I saw an elderly couple enjoying a pitcher together. I took a picture and sent it to The Boyfriend and told him: goals.


For the uninitiated, he's making okonomiyaki

I can't help it, I'm Chinese. I want some meat buns.

A little dryer than I'm used to, but it was still good.

Impulse buy of some spicy gyoza. Supposedly they are handmade.

Super garlicky, and the chilis really had a good kick to them. Can't wait to come back and try some of the other foods in the court!


ICYMI - Part I is here, and Part II is here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack