Oahu, HI Part II: {Travelogue} - Seeing some Sights - Hanauma Bay, Kualoa Ranch, Giovanni's, North Shore

Hi, from two years into the pandemic! I hope you have made it this far, because I am not entirely sure that I have. My last post left off at the start of the pandemic, and it looks like we are still in the thick of things, and have all lost someone. It's been a real trial to get to the mental state where I can continue to write about food and travel for fun. I especially had trouble with posting about Hawaii with everything that has been going on (I'm not even talking about when/how Hawaii became a state). If you're interested in learning more, Google "Hawaii Water Supply", or think about why Hawaii, a small set of islands, might not want visitors during a world-wide pandemic. I didn't want to be a part of that set that went against the people of Hawaii. So please, if you are thinking of visiting, research more about Hawaii so when you visit, you can tread softly, understand that you are visiting occupied land, and be most of all, respectful. I am learning also, which makes me view this trip with fresh eyes. 

Did you know that Hanauma Bay was able to flourish during the pandemic when visitors were not allowed? It is a super popular tourist destination, and I used to visit because I figured it was maintained in a way that would ideally preserve the local flora and fauna. I'm glad that they raised the prices for visitors, but wish they would cut down the total amount of individuals allowed to visit the site every day. During this visit in January of 2020, I noticed a lot of people standing on the coral (a big no no that they tell you about before you walk down the hill to the beach). There are life guards at the beach who will use the megaphone if they see you and tell you to step off, but there were just too many idiots there. 



I bought a used Nikonos V with the plan of using it at the beach, and in the water. Here it is, finally in use! I tried to use it in Okinawa, but I loaded an empty role my first time using it.


If you get there early enough, there are fewer people and it's much more peaceful.










My favorite - humuhumunukunukuapua'a, otherwise known as a "reef triggerfish". The triggerfish family is quite large, and the different colors they come in are really pretty. This particular fish, the humuhumunukunukuapua'a, is the state fish of Hawaii. 


Even in this picture, you can see all of the assholes standing on the coral. Don't be a jerk.


Just because Waikiki Beach is a tourist spot doesn't make it less pretty...



Kulaloa Ranch
49-560 Kamehameha Hwy, Kaneohe, HI 96744

Kualoa Ranch, located on the Eastern side of the Island, is a very famous location. It is the backdrop for countless movies (Jurassic Park, Kong, 50 First Dates, and the remake of Jumanji, for example). When I first looked into visiting, and taking a horseback ride tour, it seemed like the ranch was a good thing. And when we went, we learned a lot about the land itself, how it was originally used, what it all meant. But then there's this. Is it good that the ranch is there? Doesn't seem like it. Too many non-Hawaiians own beaches and don't allow local Hawaiians to use the land like the evil lizard Zuckerberg, and Evil Penis Shuttle Bezos.



I love horses and movies, and the idea of riding around the ranch where Dr. Grant, Lex, and Timmy just seemed so fun. At least fun enough to do at least once.



The same tree that they ran past in Jurassic Park.






Kong.


50 First Dates

On the tour, we were able to learn more about Macadamia nuts, and were able to crack a few open ourselves to eat fresh.


North Shore

I've been wanting to see some honu for a while, and figured this trip was as good as any to find some to just look at from a distance. If you manage to find any, you are supposed to maintain a distance of at least 10 feet, no touching, and no feeding them. 



Those aren't rocks!

This lady had gird. We saw her barfing some red stuff and asked one of the locals if she was ok. They told us she had eaten too much seaweed so it was coming back up lol.








One of the best plate lunches around. They have two locations, but this time, this Kaka'ako location was closer. There's a parking lot, but the spots are pretty small, so be careful with that rental. 

Lomi lomi, poi, Okinawan sweet potatoes, lau lau, hopia.


Picked up some poke from Yama's Fish Market.



Heard about this place making chichi dango the OG way and had to stop by and pick some up. Thought I had enough, but I really should have gotten more! The recipe originated in Hiroshima by Asataro Hirao. The texture and flavor are both great, and it was worth going out of my way to pick some up. If you're looking for it, the address is included in the website link.

Another stop that I just have to make when visiting, is Giovanni's. I actually wanted to try a different one, but it had closed already, so I ended up here. It has never failed to be one of the best shrimps out there.



I could look at these sunsets every day.









Leaving is always hard because it's just so beautiful here. 


To help make it a little easier to leave, pick up some onigiri and cry your way home 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack