Oahu, HI Part I: {Travelogue} - Helena's, Waiola, Izakaya Naru

North Shore

For my latest birthday, The Boyfriend took me to Hawaii. I'm not usually one to brag, but this was one of the best gifts ever (although to be honest, his gifts are always good). The last time I went to Hawaii was for the Spartan Race, so this time would be all about fun. I mean, I had fun last time, but there was that whole extreme exercise in the sun portion that was super draining. This time, we would go to eat, relax and . Instead of going to Kualoa Ranch for the Spartan Race, we would take a few tours to enjoy the sights without having to lug buckets of gravel or 40lbs. sandbags, do burpees, or army crawling 100 meters 😅

Since the flight arrived at noon, it was perfectly timed for lunch again at Helena's. The Boyfriend hadn't been to Helena's before, so I figured it would be a nice first meal in Oahu. We went with the set menu D, and didn't get the chicken long rice or poke. Last time, the poke had a few opihi on it. Apparently this time out, it was too dangerous for people to get opihi, so we weren't able to find any at Yama's either. We were told that the winds were too strong and waves too large.

Helena's Hawaiian Food

1240 N School St
Honolulu, HI 96817











Without the extra items, we weren't super full. Which left space for some shave ice at Waiola. Just FYI - they have a few locations with different hours. The one on Waiola Street also has a small convenience store, in case you want to check it out. If you're worried about parking, they have a small lot. It's full most of the hours that they are open, but there is also free street parking. Just make sure you're not blocking a driveway! 

If it's your first time, be sure to read how to order so you don't hold up the line longer than you need to!

Waiola Shave Ice

2135 Waiola St
Honolulu, HI 96826




After digesting all of that food by lying out on the beach, it was time for dinner. Okinawan restaurants seem to be pretty rare, even in California. I've had my eye on Izakaya Naru for a few years now, and thought it would be a good opportunity to finally give it a try. Located only about a mile away from downtown Honolulu, I suppose we could have walked over there. But online, it said there was a parking lot. If you plan on parking there, don't be surprised if it's packed as there are a few other restaurants nearby who share it. I didn't have trouble finding street parking just across the street though. It's metered, so if you're there before it's free, have some quarters on hand!

The place is very cozy, so be sure to make reservations. Or show up early like we did and if your party is small, you'll probably have some luck. There was just the two of us so they sat us by the bar (which we love anyway - the service is always better). It filled up soon after, and we got to see all the folks come by without reservations get turned away because there was no space. 

This place is great though. If you have a chance, Izakaya Naru is worth a shot! They have a ton of traditional Okinawan dishes that were just as good as the food in Okinawa. The only thing I couldn't find was omibudo, or sea grapes. Maybe it's an import issue? If you are trying to order specific Okinawan traditional dishes, the English makes it a bit harder to identify. I would suggest learning what the real names are in Japanese so you can get the orders correct.

Izakaya Naru
2700 S King St
Honolulu, HI 96826






もずく酢, or vinegared mozuku. It's known as an anti-aging seaweed that is natural to Okinawa. There used to be an Okinawan speciality store in SF that you could buy it at, but unfortunately, it closed. The only other place I've eaten it was in Okinawa. The texture is much slippery-er than other types of seaweed, and is usually served cold and in vinegar. When The Boyfriend made it himself, we thought it was okay, but nothing amazing. In Okinawa, it was delicious! I have to say, Izakaya Naru makes it just like they do in Okinawa (it is a small chain, after all). Mostly, it's the quality. It tastes so fresh! The next time I'm in Honolulu, I plan on going again.




Firefly squid - it was one of the daily specials. The taste was very unique. While I've had firefly squid before in the past, I don't believe I've had it raw before.




One of the things that never fails to make me happy is super fresh fish sashimi. Because of the colder temperatures in the winter, buri has a higher fat content and just melts in your mouth.




Had to get the goya champuruu! They said they use Okinawan bittermelon. I used to put up the biggest fight whenever bittermelon appeard on the dinner table growing up. Nowadays, I can't get enough. Any chance I have to eat fresh bittermelon, I am probably going to jump on it. In Sacramento, it's a real struggle. The ones they sell at Ranch are always just about to rot. It's very disappointing especially because they just recently started selling Taiwanese bittermelon.




H O L Y M A C K E R E L. This was one of my favorites that night. Or it was my favorite. Just looking at this picture again gives me the happy feels. This mackerel was super fatty and incredibly tender. I honestly would not expect to have mackerel this fresh and delicious outside of Japan. I would come back again just for this. They also sear it after they bring it to you so you get a nice fire show.




ラフテー, or rafute. Pork belly lovers, rejoice! I personally love braised pork belly (although there's no way I could eat it every day), and after trying it in Okinawa, I am officially a fan! Rafute is Okinawan style braised pork belly. While most people love bacon, I need something to cut the fat. With braised foods, the fat is rendered so you still have the fatty tenderness, but you can enjoy it more without looking like you stuck your mouth in a tub of vaseline.




In-house made awamori. When we were in Okinawa, I didn't ge of a chance to try it because of the extra rigid drinking and driving laws (I mean, I could be that American, but Okinawa has to deal with enough of them and I really don't ever want to be that American). So, I had a chance to try it at Izakaya Naru and have no regrets! I asked the waiter for suggestions because they had a few to choose from. This is the awamori sampler. You can choose three for $9.50. The sample sizes are a decent amount, so it was worth it. If there is one you liked in particular, you can always get a full sized one. I went with the shiso, ukon, and black sugar. The shiso was a bit too minty for me. The ukon tasted mostly like vodka. My favorite was the black sugar. It had just a hint of sweetness so it wasn't overpowering.




These jars are the awamori. When you order it, they just scoop it out. Along the walls, high on the shelves are the ones that are still fermenting. They also have a ton of whisky to choose from, and even more awamori straight from Okinawa.




One of the specials that day. I love me some silver fish! If you get a chance for some fresh shishamo, I highly recommend it. Izakaya Naru serves it with what I believe is kewpie and some shichimi, but I enjoyed it just fried and lightly salted. And with a nice frosted mug of Orion Beer.



Hopefully you all enjoyed that long winded travelogue! Stay tuned for more! And eventually when I am up to it, I'll add my Okinawa trip 😇

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack