[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack Shio Butter Clam

Folks, the main reason Noodle in a Haystack caught my eye was their clam ramen that they had their first year of business (while I have come to love their other ramen offerings, I was still sad about the one that got away). I am happy to report back that I have finally tried it and it was fantastic. I am a huge clam fan and can put away a few pounds of clams in one sitting (it's all shell weight, anyway). Tried as I might, I could not get a reservation while they served that original clam ramen. When I heard that it was going to make a comeback, I cleared what I could of my July in anticipation of that weekend that I would head out to the Bay to get some. Thankfully my schedule worked out with the last Sunday of July!

In case you missed it, I have posted about Clint and Yoko's ramen in detail here: Noodle in a Haystack Shio Ramen

Then, there's this post also: Noodle in a Haystack Duck Shoyu and Foie Gras

This post will focus on the July seating of their shio butter clam ramen. 


Noodle in a Haystack's signature deviled egg. But wait! It's different this time! Notice that the ikura is a darker color than normal? Well, friends, that's because this time, the salmon eggs were fresh and not frozen. We really got lucky this time around because it's not always available. When marinating, they use less time because there is already so much more flavor, and is a very pleasant salmon flavor.

A "Hokkaido Tart." Hokkaido's chirashis are the inspiration for this appetizers. In this magical little tart is Baja uni, king salmon zuke, cured aomori scallop, fresh ikura, and nori jam from leftover ramen. Oh! And don't forget the bits of yuzu. This delectable tart is served in an edible rice wafer. Just pop that bad boy in your mouth!


Yoko's famous pickles

Gyudon! A5 Wagyu, A4 Wagyu fat with some extra pats of butter. Served Yoshinoya style with rice. This is the most decadent gyudon I have had to date. Yoko cooks the rice in a Dutch oven and I really believe that it makes the rice better. I have had discussions with non-believers, but I think those people who disagreed just didn't have as good of taste buds to taste or feel the difference in the rice 😅



The Pièce De Résistance - the Shio Butter Clam Ramen I have been waiting two years for!  The ramen itself had a very nice clam seafood smell. Light, but definitely there. Also included was Hokkaido surf clam, konbu, butter, corn, chasu, and soft boiled egg. With the corn and pat of butter, my first thought was, this had to be inspired again, by Hokkaido. And again, I have to reiterate that you shouldn't be put off by the price because there is just nowhere else that you can get ramen of this level quality, care, and ingredients. 



Beautifully seared corn. So very sweet.



I believe this dessert was primarily a Yoko creation: almond jelly finished with a strawberry compote. I found it texturally close to panna cotta and a nice finish to yet another fantastic meal at Noodle in a Haystack. I look forward to joining again for another bowl of ramen!


...although I'm sure when I'm there it appears like my real reason of being there is to hang out with Toto!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack