[Taipei, Taiwan] - Ningxia Night Market

Again, pardon me for being so delayed in my posts. It was bought to my attention that I never got around to posting about Ningxia Night Market (while I was helping my friend with is Taiwan itinerary) in Taipei. While Shilin and Raohe get the most attention, I have to say this is one of my go-tos. Especially for desserts. 

Don't worry, I also checked to make sure that these places are still open. I hate reading blogs and getting excited about a place that is now defunct.

Here are a few of my favorites at Ningxia Night Market. While it's not a huge night market by any means, it does have a great food selection. It's still worth a try if you haven't been yet. Note that it is a night market so if you go during the day, you aren't going to get much. I have found that going around 8PM isn't too bad, but if you get there around 9 or later, it gets super crowded and you just have to flow with the crowd. And be ok with having no personal space. Also, be ready to not be able to stop and stare as the people behind you are being pushed into you by the people behind them. It's a vicious cycle! 

Please note - this is not a fully inclusive list by any means. It's just a few places that I remembered to take pictures at. I will do my best to update after each trip.

Stall no. 091 Ningxia Road, Datong District, 
Taipei City, Taiwan 103

Possibly the most famous spot in the night market; there is always a line. These fried taro balls are cheap snacks and come with the two options of either plain or with pork floss and an egg. Both are pretty good. The taro ball is a bit more plain, as it's just taro. If you like a bit more umami flavor, go with the pork floss and egg yolk option. Just look for the longest line, and you're probably at the right spot!

Ok, this is the shortest I've ever seen the line. I got there a bit early, like 6 or 6:30, and it was raining.


Everything is ready to go, so as you order, they make them and fry them fresh. They taste best when they're hot and fresh!

蚵仔煎大王
No. 56, Ningxia Road, Datong District
Taipei City, Taiwan 103


One of Taiwan's famous foods is the 蚵仔煎, or ou ah zhen. This is one of a few shops along Ningxia Road. When my friend from Japan visited, this is the first Taiwanese food I had her try. So many people only know Taiwan for beef noodles or 鼎泰豐, but Taiwan is so much more than that. Being an island country, one of the biggest perks is fresh seafood, and one of the favorites here is oyster.

蚵仔湯 - oyster soup. The oysters are juicy and plucked as soon as they pop open and served in a clear, clean tasting broth. I imagine to people who aren't used to these dishes, it looks fishy. I assure you, it's not! The oysters are fresh and the soup is not malodorous.

蚵仔煎 - oyster omelette. It has oysters, potato starch (for texture), some lettuce (cabbage, whichever the cook prefers), and egg batter. A sweet/savory sauce is poured on top. It's honestly not my favorite, but when it's good, it's really good.


林振櫂燒麻糬
103 Ningxia Road, Datong District Taipei City, Taiwan,
Fresh hand-made mochi


These mochi can be ordered by itself with some sesame or peanut powder, or on top of shaved ice with condensed milk drizzled over. This is definitely one of my favorite things to eat, and have managed to get at least one visit in each trip I've made. The mochi is still hot and fresh when it's placed on top of the shaved ice. For those who only like the finely grated shaved ice, you might not like this one. The ice is more traditional and slightly chunkier, but without being chunks of ice that you break your teeth on. One of the things I love about the sesame and peanut powder is that it's not super sweet, and the mochi isn't hard or so chewy you can't break it with your teeth. This is very good mochi! The other place that has mochi this good is Hualien.  

And, the contrast of warm mochi on shaved ice - you would think the ice would melt super fast, or that the mochi would get hard from the cold - I have gone in the summer and winter and it's good either way. The texture isn't immediately affected so you can still eat at a leisurely pace (but not too slow, there's still a ton of other food to eat and only so many hours in a day!)


The mochi used for shaved ice is smaller and more bite sized


李家鄉滷味
Ningxia Road,  Datong District, 
Taipei City, Taiwan 103


This cart is hard to miss. Just look for the brown items through the glass! While you can get 滷味 just about anywhere, 李家鄉滷味 specializes in 麻辣滷味. Be prepared for your tongue to get numb! Those Sichuanese peppercorns are no joke!

Can be addicting!

Tofu, duck tongue, duck wings, heart, and other giblets.


One order of duck tongue yields this skewer full of spicy tongue.

If you see this sign, you are at one of the entrances. Enjoy!

I normally take the Shuanglian Station 雙連站 MRT exit 1 and walk towards Ningxia Street. It's about a 7 minute walk and when you're there, you'll know! You'll start seeing a few stands on the sidewalk, and then see the big yellow signs. 

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack