[San Jose, CA] - Tai Kee Won Ton

I just get in these moods where I crave Taiwanese food with a fierceness. Mostly, I blame Facebook. Facebook likes to remind me of my "memories" which is filled primarily with pictures of food. I always take a lot of pictures while I'm there even though I've been so many times, like it will make my stay longer, or like I can keep Taiwan with me while I'm in the States. It's frustrating though, having Taiwanese restaurants in the Bay area that usually just aren't the same. I'm definitely willing to drive to the Bay to get my Taiwanese food fix, but it just really makes me want to buy another ticket home.

Luckily, my friend introduced me to Tai Kee. While I might not think that all of the food is as good as it is in Taiwan, the wonton soup is. The flavor of the soup - clean and full, the texture of the wonton wrappers, and the filling. It's almost like i'm in Zuoying at my favorite wonton shop having a bowl. The pricing is pretty good too. Buying the frozen to-go wontons are more pricey, but worth it if you are coming from further away and need a treat in the coming weeks. 

I ordered a few other things such as the cold tofu, bamboo shoots, fried tofu, sticky rice, gua bao, and steamed spareribs. The tofu I recommend. Great texture and you get that good umami from the bonito and sauce drizzled on it. It's the perfect appetizer. I also really liked the bamboo. Often, the bamboo is old or hard in restaurants. This place, while they used dried bamboo, was tender. I also liked the steamed spareribs, even though I did expect a little more sparerib in the dish. Be aware when ordering that the entire bottom is sweet potato. Not bad per se, just don't expect the entire thing to be sparerib. I can't really complain though, I was already pretty full by the time this item came out. The wontons came out first. I think next time, I'll order a big bowl of wontons, the tofu, bamboo, and the gua bao. The fried tofu and sticky rice weren't bad, but they didn't wow me. Great spot though, so I'll definitely be back for more!  

柴魚豆腐//"Dry Shaved Bonito with Cold Tofu." - $3.99


​筍干//"Dry Bamboo" - $4.99


炸豆腐//"Fried Tofu" - $3.99


竹筒飯/"Sweet Rice with Meat in Cone" - $4.99


雲吞//"Taiwanese Wonton Soup" - $4.00 - Ordered the small which has 5 wontons


刈包/"Taiwanese Sandwich" - $4.99


粉蒸排骨/"Steamed Spareribs" - $8.99

Address:
2092 Concourse Dr Ste 1
San Jose, CA 95131

Website 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 桦達奶茶 Huada Milk Tea (Original Location Only)

[Kaohsiung, Taiwan] - 查理布朗咖啡店 | Charlie Brown Café Taiwan

[Daly City, CA] - Noodle in a Haystack